Monday, November 8, 2010

Red, White & Blue Cake

I probably should wait to publish this around the Independence Day holiday. But this was the cake I made after the Flower Pot Cake. And I wanted to follow that sequence until I get updated. Make the cake, then post about it a few days later.

Anyway, I made this for my brother-in-law to welcome him home from Iraq. He was gone for almost 5 whole months and we were so glad to have him back safe in our arms. Thus, the patriotic theme and the "Welcome Home". This is quite simple and very easy to make.



TOOLS

Wilton 101 Pc Cookie Cutter Set
Plastic Cookie Cutters Assorted Shapes
INGREDIENTS I USED

HOW I DID IT

Cake. Baked and cooled 1-layer 6 in. cake. Torted, filled and crumb-coated it. Kneaded the Pure White Rolled Fondant, rolled it out and covered the cake.


Blue Border. Rolled out the Blue fondant from the Primary Colors Multi-Pack and used the ruler and pizza cutter to make a 1-inch strip to go around the cake. I used the smallest star cutter to cut-out blue stars from the strip of blue ribbon fondant. Then, I brushed a little bit of water behind it to attach to the cake.



Red Ribbons. Rolled out the Red fondant from the Primary Colors Multi-Pack and used the ruler and pizza cutter to make eight (8) 1-inch ribbons for the top of the cake. I, simply, adjusted the length of the ribbon as I place on the cake as shown.

Welcome Home. Rolled out the Blue fondant from the Primary Colors Multi-Pack and used the biggest star cutter from the Plastic Cookie Cutters Assorted Shapes set to cut out the star topper. Then I used a toothpick to write "Welcome Home".



You may be interested in reading the Fondant for Beginners series:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...