Friday, July 2, 2010

Fondant for Beginners: Covering Cakes with Rolled Fondant

So you got your tools, baked your cake and now ready to cover it with fondant. I recommend that you use pre-made rolled fondant for your first fondant cake. I've used two brands, so far. Satin Ice Rolled Fondant which I bought on eBay and Wilton Ready-made Fondant.

Satin Ice Rolled Fondant - White - Vanilla - 10 kg

 20 lb bucket I got online

Wilton Primary Colors Fondant, Multi Pack 
Wilton brand I bought online for decorations

I also make my own home-made marshmallow fondant when I need a big batch of the same color.

TOOLS

INSTRUCTIONS


  • Before rolling out your fondant, knead it until it is in a workable consistency. If it's too sticky, knead in a little bit of confectioners sugar. If it's too dry, knead in a little bit of shortening (Crisco). Lightly dust your smooth work surface or rolling mat with powdered sugar. 

  • Roll out fondant sized to your cake to about 1/4" thick. Measure the lengths of the sides and across the top of your cake at the widest point. To keep fondant from sticking, lift and turn as you roll. 

  • Gently drape your fondant over the rolling pin or slip a cake circle under to move; position on cake, centering over the top and sides.

  • Smooth and tuck the fondant around the sides of the cake, using upward motions of your hands to prevent tearing the fondant on the top of the cake. Use the fondant smoother to go over the entire surface of the cake. If an air bubble appears, insert a pin on an angle, release air and smooth the area again.
 
  • Remove the excess fondant with a pizza cutter or small sharp knife.

  • Go over the cake one last time with the fondant smoother. You're done! Your cake is now ready to decorate!

WATCH AND LEARN

Here is the video I watched to learn how to do it. I really like seeing it being done before I do it myself.





Other posts in this series:

2 comments:

  1. where is the video to watch to learn ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you reading this post via mobile device? The video is at the very end of the blog entry. It's working on my laptop using Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...