Friday, December 17, 2010

Red Velvet Cheesecake

I have been thinking about what dessert to bring to our first ever Christmas gift exchange this year. I checked out Martha Stewart's website and immediately decided to try making my very first cheesecake. But, what kind? After some soul-searching (right?), I decided on making Red Velvet Cheesecake - perfect color to celebrate Christmas.

I am not a huge cheesecake fan. Actually, I'm not a huge cake fan. Hahaha. Ironic, right? I just love to bake. And nothing's more satisfying for me than to have my creations consumed by people important to me. That's what I love and enjoy about baking - sharing it. But this recipe is amazing that I became a fan! I finished two slices one after the other. It's light and smooth, not too rich - hits you in just the right spots.



We all just dug into it that I forgot to take a picture of it out of the pan. I found this recipe from RecipeGirl. The recipe also came with frosting but I'm not too big on frosting that I left it off entirely. It would make for a prettier cake with it, though. So, maybe next time I'll put some frosting but just half the recipe for it.

See what I mean? Pretty! Right?
I tried the Zip-loc method to crush the Oreo cookies at first but I just made a big mess. I also tried using my Magic Bullet but it was too small. I ended up using a mortar and pestle to crush the cookies. 

Tools I Used

RED VELVET CHEESECAKE

Ingredients:

CRUST
  • 17 regular-sized Oreo cookies, crushed finely (or 1½ cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs)
  • ¼ cup butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
CHEESECAKE
  • Three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1½ cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • ½ cup buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
  • Two 1 oz. bottles red food coloring
Directions:

Stir together Oreo crumbs, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Press mixture into bottom of 9-inch springform pan.


Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare water bath: Fill large roasting pan (big enough for springform pan to fit into) with about 1 inch of water. Place in oven and allow to preheat along with the oven.

Beat cream cheese and sugar at medium-low speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Add eggs and remaining cheesecake ingredients, mixing on low speed just until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared crust. (Note: I used a strainer as I poured the batter to make sure I get a really smooth cheesecake.)


Take out two sheets of heavy duty foil and layer them on top of one another. Place springform pan on top of the foil and wrap the foil gently around the pan and up the sides. Make sure that there are no tears or holes and that the foil comes all the way up around all sides of the cake.

 


Carefully place the foil-protected pan into the water bath in the preheated oven.



Bake for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300°F. Bake for an additional 75 minutes or until the center is firm. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven for 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven. Carefully remove cheesecake from water bath and place on wire rack. Run a thin knife around the outer edge of the cheesecake. Cool on rack for a couple of hours, until the cheesecake becomes close to room temperature.



Cover and chill for at least 8 hours (or overnight). Remove sides of springform pan.


FROSTING:
  • One 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • ¼ cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread evenly on top of cheesecake. Garnish, if desired.


***
Note:
You may choose to bake the cheesecake instead with no water bath. Bake at 325 degrees F for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300 degrees F and bake for an additional 75 minutes. Let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven; cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes. (Baking without a water bath – you run the risk of cracking the top of the cheesecake).

Red Velvet Cheesecake                                                            

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...