Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chicken Empanada


Chicken Empanada is a popular Filipino pastry that is stuffed with chicken meat, potatoes, carrots and peas. It's excellent for lunchboxes and snacks to go served hot or cold.

My mother-in-law gave me a tip in making these yummy delights. It's better to make the filling in advance and freeze it. It will be easier to place in the dough and form that empanada shape.


I found this recipe in YouTube. It's really good. I followed it on my first try and liked it but on my second try, I added more sugar to the filling recipe. My husband likes his Chicken Empanada sweet. I'm sharing my modified recipe. I also tried a different method of rolling the dough. I wanted my empanadas to be identical in sizes so I didn't follow the video on that part. I also used forks on my first try to make the dough. It took forever! So, after a quick trip to Wal-Mart, I got myself a pastry blender.

You'll see what I'm talking about. Here's the video, then my modified recipe and directions. Enjoy!



CHICKEN EMPANADA


Ingredients:

FILLING:
  • 1-1/2 lb boneless chicken breast, cubed or shredded
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 1 cup potatoes, diced
  • 1 cup carrots, diced
  • 1 cup green peas
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 piece chicken cube
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
CRUST
  • 3 cups flour
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 6 tablespoons water, ice cold
  • 1 cup butter, cut into pieces (let it stay in the refrigerator until ready to use)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon water
Directions:

To make the filling, heat the oil on a skillet. Add garlic and saute about 1 minute, then add onions and saute a further 1 minute. Add the chicken and stir fry until it browns (about 5 minutes). Add water and chicken cube then simmer for 10 minutes. Put in the carrots and potatoes, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the green peas, raisins and sugar, then simmer for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Turn off the heat, drain the excess liquid and set aside or put in freezer.


To mix the crust, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter and shortening with a knife or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the iced water, a little at a time while gathering the mixture to form a soft dough.

Form the dough into a ball. Sprinkle some flour onto a sheet of waxed paper and wrap dough in the waxed paper. Chill for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.





Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Remove chilled dough from refrigerator. Lightly flour a pastry mat or clean counter top. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough until it is 1/8 in thick. Don't roll it too thin or it will break when baked. 


Cut 4 inch circles using a cookie cutter or a small bowl. Gather the scraps and re-roll them so they can be used again.




Spoon about 1-2 teaspoons filling into the middle of each pastry circle. Fold the circle so the edges meet and the filling is sealed. Press the edges with the tines of a fork.




Beat the egg white lightly with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the surface of each folded puff with egg mixture. Arrange on a grease baking sheet or wax paper over tray. 




Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.

Chicken Empanada                                                            

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...