Monday, October 11, 2010

Flower Pot Cake

Here's a really nice cake for Mother's Day or for a garden-theme party or for whatever occasion a flower pot cake would be a perfect fit. You can change the kind of fondant flowers you can put on the flower pot depending on the flower cutters you have or if you can pipe your flowers directly on the cake, even better. But since I've confessed that I'm not really good with piping anything, I'd stick with fondant flowers. In this case, daisies. I just made a few flowers in advance. I think about 12 or 15. Then on the day of serving the cake, I just placed them on top of the cake.

I made this cake for my mother-in-law's birthday. To create the pot shape,  I just baked my cake on a Pyrex 2-Cup measuring cup. I didn't think I'd be writing a blog when I made my first cakes. I wish I  took step-by-step photos. But I'll try to be descriptive as possible.


Here's how I did it.


TOOLS
INGREDIENTS I USED
 HOW I DID IT

    • Morning of party:  Baked the cake on the Pyrex Measuring cup. I made sure I sprayed it well with my non-stick baking spray and even put parchment paper on the bottom to make sure that it will be easy to release the cake once its baked. I kept a close eye on it since I wasn't sure how long it will take to bake on glass. Once it cooled, I torted the cake into three layers, filled and crumb coated

    Cake Cover. Rolled out Chocolate Marshmallow Fondant and covered the cake upside down. It's easier to cover the cake with the bottom side up.  Then, I cut a 1" strip of the fondant to place around the edge of the pot.

    Soil. Inverted the cake right side up and spread a little frosting on the top. I put a few pieces of the Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies on a Ziploc bag to crush and spread on top of the cake.


    Flowers and Leaves. I just placed all the Flowers and Leaves made the day before on top of the cake.

    You may be interested in reading the Fondant for Beginners series:



      0 comments:

      Post a Comment

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...