Thursday, July 22, 2010

My First Fondant Cake

This is what started it all. My youngest son was turning one and I couldn't really find cakes at Safeway or cake toppers that will work to match his birthday party theme. So, I thought of maybe baking the cake myself. But, I have to practice first.


Here's my first cake. Yes..this is what a novice's cake looks like. I did everything from scratch. It's chocolate with chocolate buttercream and marshmallow fondant. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube then just attacked with no plan whatsoever.


What I learned right after I finished the cake:
  • Sift, sift, sift
  • Wear an apron
  • Pre-made fondant is looking so convenient
  • Should spend more time playing with my sons and their Play-Doh
  • YouTube every step of the way
I like the cake recipe I found. Not too sweet, very moist. My fondant is lumpy. I didn't sift plus I started making it at 10pm and it demanded a lot of kneading which I didn't have the strength for so I gave up. My husband came to the rescue. So, next time, I will sift. But I haven't tasted it with the marshmallow fondant.

I started on the decorations without a real plan in mind. I just took my cookie cutters out. I saw something like this on The Ultimate Cake Off. I'm so glad that I'm married to a guy who is so supportive of my crafty ventures.  He finished up on the decorations when I had to tend to the little ones.

I'm so positive that there are others who had way better first fondant cakes than me. If you are one of them, please share pictures! It will inspire and motivate other knowing and seeing what they might able to achieve if they just go ahead and take the leap to try baking and caking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...